The BRAIN Initiative
Brain Research through Advancing Innovative NeurotechnologiesSM (BRAIN)
- BRAIN Initiative funding opportunities released(New)
- NIH Neuroethics Workshop 2014 Summary(New)
- NIH awards initial $46 million for BRAIN Initiative research
- NIH Director’s Blog - BRAIN: Launching America’s Next Moonshot
- Brief Descriptions of BRAIN Initiative awards
- White House factsheet: Over $300 Million in Support of the President’s BRAIN Initiative
What is the BRAIN Initiative?
The Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies (BRAIN) Initiative is part of a new Presidential focus aimed at revolutionizing our understanding of the human brain. By accelerating the development and application of innovative technologies, researchers will be able to produce a revolutionary new dynamic picture of the brain that, for the first time, shows how individual cells and complex neural circuits interact in both time and space. Long desired by researchers seeking new ways to treat, cure, and even prevent brain disorders, this picture will fill major gaps in our current knowledge and provide unprecedented opportunities for exploring exactly how the brain enables the human body to record, process, utilize, store, and retrieve vast quantities of information, all at the speed of thought.
THE BRAIN INITIATIVE and BRAIN RESEARCH THROUGH ADVANCING INNOVATIVE NEUROTECHNOLOGIES are service marks of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS).
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA): Defense Sciences Office Solicitations
The Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA): IARPA joins the BRAIN Initiative
The White House: The White House BRAIN Initiative